Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Healthified Whole Wheat Surpreme Pizza

The reason I named my blog, "feeding my running addiction" is because not only do I love to run but when time permits I also love to try new recipes and or healthify others.  Some recipes turn out great and others have been epic fails!  My favorite "fail" was a time Steph showed me a recipe for some already healthy cookies that looked and sounded really good. If I find a recipe on a blog or website where there are comments or reviews I like to read them and make sure its going to be good and worth my time and ingredients.  This one passed the test as far as the comments went, so a few days later I had some spare time and decided to make them and share some with Steph and her family.  Since they were already a very healthy cookie I followed the recipe to a T and didn't  try to change anything.  I baked them up and they looked and smelled good so I ran some down to Steph's house while they were still warm so she could try them.  I love sharing the things I make with friends and family but I usually try something before I share.  In my excitement I waited to try the cookies until I got home.  I got back home from my delivery and took a big bite of a soft, warm cookie and nearly threw up, they were disgusting, just not right!  I spit it out and was so disappointed and sad I didn't get to enjoy a yummy treat.  When I was at Steph's she had invited me to go to the store with her a her daughter and they came to pick me up shortly.  When I got in the car  I said how disgusting the cookies were and that she needed to throw them away STAT!!!!  She said, "I know, they were horrible, but I didn't want to be rude and say something!" We had a good laugh and decided that recipe wouldn't be repeated ever again!
 
My goal is to share a recipe once a week, only the good ones though!  Here is one of my families favorites, it is a
Whole Wheat Supreme Pizza.
When fueling for a long run or race I am nervous to eat at a restaurant because of a few previous  experiences that ended badly.  I won't go into detail but it made for some very uncomfortable moments.  For a few years Steph and I have used this "recipe" to fuel us, and our families of course ;) 
 
For the crust we like to use the Rhodes 100% whole wheat bread loaves. For some reason the picture is side ways, but you get the idea.  I have found it at Reams, a local grocery store. 
In the morning spray a pan with cooking spray, set the frozen loaf in the middle, spray the top of the loaf and cover loosely with seran wrap. Make sure no air can get in or it won't rise and will harden the bread.

 About an hour before we're ready to eat I get all of my veggies chopped up and prepare the dough.  The veggies I like to put on my pizza are; onions, green peppers, mushrooms, spinach and fresh tomatoes
 This is the dough all nice and puffed up!  If you have young children,  that might be tempted to touch or disturb your rising bread you might want to put it somewhere they can't reach it.  If it pops it will not rise and there will be no carbalicious supper for you :(

 Spray a pizza pan with cooking spray and set aside.  Sprinkle flour on your counter and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough as much as you'd like.  I like a thin crust pizza, so I get it quite thin.  Once it is at your desired thickness place it on the pizza pan, trim the edges if needed, and put in a 350* preheated oven for 5-6 min for thinner crust and 10 min for a thicker crust.

After you cook the crust a bit, take it out of the oven and spread pizza sauce on it, then sprinkle however much cheese you desire on it.  Next, I like to use Turkey pepperoni and Turkey sausage all over the pizza, then I can put whatever veggies on that I want and leave them off the kids part, since according to them pizza should NOT have veggies on it!  Here is the beautiful creation in the oven!  The stuff on the bottom rack is the leftover dough that I made into garlic bread and the kids used the leftover pizza sauce to dip it in. 

Ever since I was little my mom always made a yummy salad to have with pizza, so the tradition carries on and I like to make a nice salad with our pizza.

Just for fun, here is a picture of Nicolas and Jackson after an Easter egg hunt the young women did last night at our church.  They had so much fun and got oodles of yummy candy!  May
 the sugar rush of the weekend begin!
 
Here are a couple questions for ya....
 
What is your favorite carbo loading meal?
I guess you know mine if you read this loooong post ;)
 
What are your top 3 favorite Easter treats?
Mine would be Mike & Ike Jellybeans, Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs, and Reeses mini eggs....Yummy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment